Save Money Monday: DIY Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas
Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be expensive, and doesn’t only have to be about store-bought gifts. PennySaver has compiled some DIY Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas just for you, in the event that you didn’t have time to shop for something, are on trying to spend Valentine’s Day on a budget, or just prefer to gift something that you made yourself.
DIY Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas
Create an ‘I Love You’ Book
Time to unleash your crafty and creative side! The ideas for this gift can be endless. All you need to do is create a book telling your significant other how much you love them. It can be small, it can be comically large, it’s completely up to your imagination. Here are some great examples to get you inspired.
- ’52 Things I Love about You’ done using a pack of playing cards and 1 inch binder rings. You can make it as basic, or elaborate as you see fit.
- Photo Love Story using index cards and photos to tell your love story.
- ‘I Love You Because…’ Book from Wahetver Dee Dee Wants. Great way to tell your significant other why you love them.
- The Envelope Book from Oh Hello Friend Blog to help your significant other get through their day.
You might remember doing these as a kid. Creating coupon books for your parents on Mother’s Day or Father’s Day, redeemable for you doing the dishes, or other household chores. The same gift would also make a great Valentine’s Day gift as you get older. You can still keep the coupons for the occasional hand with the household chores, but you can add coupons redeemable for foot massages, homemade dinner, car-wash, or even a kids-free day coupon! Some cute examples are:
- Elegant Coupon Book using free printable templates, cardstock, and other office/craft supplies you probably already have at home.
- Non-Corny Valentine’s Day Coupon book from Kind Over Matter
- Packaged Coupon Book that’s abstract, and different from the usual coupon book format. This one’s more structured, and reminiscent of a fold-out wallet.
- Vintage Coupon Book for the vintage-lover in your life.
- Ticket-themed Coupon Book from Mommy by Day Crafter by Night. You can download the coupons with text already printed on them, or blank to add your own coupon text. They look similar to theater/movie tickets, and you can paste them on card stock to personalize them further.
Love Notes in a Jar
This one is pretty self explanatory, and not much to it. If you already have empty jars laying around you can use those, or purchase some mason jars or small jars at your local craft store. You can create thin strips of notes, or larger notes, notes in circles or notes in square, folded or flat. You can hand-write them or have them printed. The possibilities are endless, but the outcome is the same. You have a beautiful jar full of love notes and sweet sayings for that special person in your life that they can enjoy at home or at work.
Scrapbook of Dates
If you collect or still have receipts or movie stubs from your dates, then this is the perfect DIY gift idea for you. Create a scrapbook of sorts, or a stub diary for your sweetie. Highlight the special moments you shared, and include cute anecdotes of the times you spent together.
Buying gifts are great, but nothing shows how thoughtful you are, more than dedicating time to making something yourself, and your wallet will also be happier!