MOGASA’s Shopping Tips for Finding Valentine’s Gifts at Garage Sales
PennySaverUSA’s garage sale mobile app MOGASA will provide a guest blog post each Tuesday. Enjoy …
Romance and garage sales? You don’t often hear these phrases paired together, but MOGASA wants to change that because we believe thrifty can be thoughtful. Find a gift this year that will truly speak to your Valentine’s heart when you give something uniquely theirs that you found at a garage sale. MOGASA’s handy shopping tips will make romance come easy.
The week before you shop, look for neighborhood signs, ads in your PennySaver, and posts on the free MOGASA mobile garage sale app and pick a number of sales to visit. (Hint: MOGASA allows you to create easy driving maps to the sales you’re exploring.) For garage sales, the saying “The Early Bird Gets the Worm” holds true, so plan to hit the trails around 6AM to find the best stuff.
What to Shop for
There are a lot common items that you’ll see at almost every sale, and with a little love, they can be transformed into the perfect Valentine’s gift. Here are our top five picks.
- Vintage jewelry – Often found in full boxes at estate sales. All these need is a little cleaning (Silver for Sale has great tips), and you’ll have a one-of-a-kind piece the recipient will treasure forever.
- Picture frames – There’s always a beautiful picture frame or two hiding in a yard sale. Dust it off, and then check out Funky Junk Interior’s 83 tips for unconventional picture frame uses. Or, just put a sweet picture in it.
- Porcelain or ceramic figurines – Have a friend who loves owls, rabbits, or the elusive unicorn? You can bet you’ll find one of these at a garage sale along your route, and our friend at Thrift Core has an excellent tutorial for transforming figurines from retro to chic in a few short minutes.
- Books – Avid reader on your list? Look no further than the book pile at your local yard sale. There’s sure to be a good James Patterson in there, and Joanne Palmisano author of Salvage Secrets has a great tutorial for creating a sweet reader’s gift basket with thrifted books.
- Vases – You can save on a beautiful flower arrangement when you pick up the vase at a yard sale. We bet every sale you visit will have one. Once you’ve chosen the vase that speaks to your heart, save even more when you get her favorite long stems at your local farmer’s market.
**Super shopper’s hint** Write out everyone you need to buy for and some highlights about what makes them unique, e.g., favorite color blue, loves owls, collects old records, this will make tracking down the perfect gift much easier.
We hope we’ve helped you create an unforgettable Valentine’s Day. Leave us a comment with what you’re giving your sweetheart for Valentine’s. Happy treasure hunting!