At any given time, we have a large number of ads on PennySaverUSA.com from people looking for roommates, and with school starting back up, as it is now, the number shoots sky high! Today we want to give you some pointers on how best to create an ad for a roommate to guarantee the other half of the rent will get paid.
There are a few standard items you always want to include in the beginning of your ad: price, if you’re looking for a male or female roommate, location, deposit, if they have their own bathroom and if pets are allowed. After those basics are out of the way, you need to hit every possible keyword that might make them jump up to call you, or at least let them know not to waste their time. If they have a cat and you forget to mention in your ad that just watching the Garfield movie makes you break out in hives, let alone living around an actual cat. Here are some suggestions:
- Safety is always a concern for anyone looking for a new place to live. Be clear about the safety level of where you’re living. If it’s a gated community, be sure to mention this, as it can be a vital component to some, but others might prefer to not live gated. If your apartment complex has it’s own security, be sure that your potential roommate knows this!
- Be sure to mention if there is a covered parking available, or if they will have an assigned spot or garage. If a garage is provided, you should ask them whenthey contact you what kind of vehicle they drive. You don’t want to try to fit a monster truck into a closet! If parking is not provided, let them know if parking will be a concern and how long the walk to the place will be from the parking area.
- Be sure to mention what the laundry situation is; Discuss whether it’s on site or if there is a laundromat nearby.
- Mention what level your apartment is on, because some people might not want to climb 3 flights of stairs due to an injury or other issue.
- People want to know about the convenience of the location: Mention your distance to a college, freeway, grocery or post office.
- If you have a workout center provided, mention that, along with any tennis or basketball courts.
- Are gas/water/trash included in the rent, or will it be a separate payment?
Anything else you can think of? Let us know and comment below!